Release Cycle

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 19 19:18:52 UTC 2013

On Monday, August 19, 2013 16:52:28 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> which would be more likely May/June if we stick to five month cycle. Note:
> one of the outcomes of the "shorter release cycle" BOF at Akademy was that
> we might re-evaluate the situation after the 4.11 release. So in external
> communication I would not yet settle for a date because it could be
> anywhere between the three months later as proposed by Alex and return to
> six months as it used to be.

imho, that’s fine. we can say we are planning 4.13 for August 2014, and if we
end up changing our mind we can announce that later as a clarification.

we really don’t know if there will be shorter cycles after 4.11, so the
default expectation is to keep doing releases every six months. until we know
otherwise, that is the default plan.

by saying that we currently plan on 4.13 in august 2014 we communicate to the
outside world that we have a roadmap. this is quite true, as can be seen by
the amount of thought going in this exact topic by so many people from so many
different angles (promo, apps, workspaces ...)

so my recommendation is to go with Jos’ outline and if we change course for
4.12/4.13 announce that then.

really the worst thing we can do for external confidence is say “we don’t
know”, because that translates externally to “we aren’t planning”. but we are
planning. so we do know. and that’s what we need to communicate.

--
Aaron J. Seigo