[kde-promo] Kopete changes for KDE 4.11

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 13:22:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 13 July 2013 22:47:26 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>> On Saturday, July 13, 2013 09:53:25 Pali Rohár wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Kopete in KDE 4.11 has fixed more bugs and has lot of new
>> > features (comparing to 4.10/9/8 versions). I'm sending list
>> > of some new changes which could be in KDE 4.11 release
>> > page.
>> >
>> > * Kopete migrated from svn to git
>> > * Fixed memory leaks, corruptions and NULL dereferences
>> > * Fixed lot of Kopete crashes at exit, at logout and when
>> > closing modal dialogs * Support for adding new contacts to
>> > Top Level group * Allow inviting users to groupchat by
>> > drag-n-dropping * Automatically logout and login with
>> > suspend/resume * Activate webcam preview in settings dialog
>> > only if webcam tab is selected * New sqlite history plugin
>> > (by default old one is used and new is disabled) * SSL
>> > support for ICQ protocol (enabled by default for all ICQ
>> > accounts) * Updated jabber libiris library from upstream
>> >
>> >     - Fixed lot of connections problems (specialy legacy SSL
>> >     and logining) - Support for SCRAM-SHA-1 SASL login
>> >     mechanism (needed for new servers) - XMPP 1.0 support
>> >     (this fixed login to gmx, facebook and other servers)
>> >
>> > * Updated jabber google libjingle library for gtalk voice
>> > calls * Fixed wizard for registring new jabber account
>> > * Support for jabber XEP-0184: Message Delivery Receipts
>> > (sender and reciver of chat messages will see delivery
>> > status) * Support for jabber XEP-0199: XMPP Ping
>> > * Fixed problems with skype protocol when user sent or
>> > recived same/duplicate messages
>>
>> I love you. Really, if I wasn't married, I might propose ;-)
>>
>> If only more developers would do this ;-)
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> @release team: I'd love it if you folk would think about a
>> process change for our development which would include,
>> somewhere, the writing-down-of-features a bit like above.
>> Like in the always-summer thing: feature branches being
>> merged need a proper explanation (like above) and a tag
>> ("FEATURE:XX) or get denied. Or something like that. Then
>> we'd just collect the change logs that are tagged with
>> FEATURE and we can write announcements.
>>
>> /me can dream
>
> Ah, I'm unhappy, that you did not mention anything about kopete
> on KDE 4.11 release page :-( Now for users it can looks like
> kopete development is dead...
>
> --
> Pali Rohár
> pali.rohar at gmail.com

On behalf of everyone who worked on the announcement...some much more
than others (Jos)...I apologize.

I've added a comment to the Dot story. Ironically, Kopete will get
more attention this way than if had been summarized and included in
the announcement.

Your information is exactly what is needed from developers so that
developers' work can be publicized properly. This episode makes it
painfully clear that the release process needs to be improved.

Carl