Can i still merge this, small KDirWatch improvement.

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 11:13:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi Release team,
>
> Hi
>

>> I just got the OK to ship [1] but considering the very close release
>> of KDE 4.11 it seems right to ask the release team for permission as
>> well.
>>
>> The patch simply prevents one stat call with KDirWatch and makes the
>> code a little bit better to understand. Tests pass just fine and othe
>> additional (visual and gdb) testing hasn't shown any regression.
>>
>> If i am not allowed to push it (due to the very close 4.11 tag), when
>> can i push it then? Right after the tag i assume?
>
> Honestly, if this is just a [small] speed optimization and doesn't fix any bug, i don't see it belonging to 4.11 at all, just commit it to master and leave it for 4.12.
>
> Unless is a so huge optimization our users are going to send us money for the speed difference :D
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert

Hi Albert,

I'm OK with this not going into 4.11.0 since that is just a too short notice.
But i do like to get this in the next bugfix release (4.11.1). It
might not be a strict "bugfix", but that's only because nobody ever
opened a bug report for it.
Specially because 4.11 is LTS! Users and likely some company's are
going to be running that version for years to come. They should have
this fix.

No, it won't get you or KDE any money, but it does save one stat call
in a very common code path (creating files) thus you could argue that
this patch will extend the life of storage devices ;-)