Release Strategy Proposal

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Apr 26 22:01:14 UTC 2013

Hey,

On Friday, April 26, 2013 23:28:34 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Of course, this being a proposal, its main purpose is to sollicit
> > feedback,
> > but I'd also move towards a solution, as far as this describes common
> > ground among all stakeholders.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I'm all for it if modules want to do this, what we're going to need the
> list  of exact modules that stop development of new features and make sure
> all the parties that live under that module agree, i.e. kde-workspace has
> solid and powerdevil stuff in there. Have you talk to this guys and do they
> agree to the "feature freeze"?

The idea actually came up at a barbecue where Alex Fiestas (CC:'ed) was
present, and about to head off to Brno for the Solid sprint.

One thing I checked with him afterwards is was about a possible rewrite of
parts of powerdevil, but I believe in the end the Solid team decided against
the rewrite, so that is probably off the table.

Another, possibly intrusive thing is the introduction of KPeople, a framework
to "normalize" the concept of Contacts across the workspace. I don't know
enough to judge this, input here is welcome in how far this needs changes all
over the workspace, or would need adjustments to the presented plan. Martin
(also CC:'ed), maybe you could weigh in here?

sebas