Request for adding new plugin for Dolphin

Martin Andersen martin9000andersen at
Sat Nov 17 20:16:40 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau at>wrote:

> Am Samstag, 10. November 2012, 21:03:15 schrieb Martin Andersen:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > > Of course review is a good thing, and Martin's review request did
> > > > already get a couple of suggestions for improvements. It just wasn't
> > > > clear to me if telling the wider world is required/makes sense in
> this
> > > > case, or if having it reviewed by the people who work on the area is
> > > > enough - I think that not everyone reading kde-core-devel wants to be
> > > > informed about every little thing. But actually, either way is fine
> > > > for me. However, seeing that the hard feature freeze is already in
> > > > place, it might have to wait until KDE/4.10 branches are created
> > > > anyway.
> >
> > Thank you Frank and Fredrich for the review comments, this will improve
> the
> > code. In a second round it could be nice with more rewievers, and I would
> > like to inform kde-core-devel if this is appropriated.
> Ideally there would be also testers of your code, because looking through
> the
> code is one thing, seeing it working is another :)
> Dropping a note to kde-core-devel is recommended, both for entering
> kdereview
> and the final result of the review.
> But to increase the chance to find someone who also uses Perforce and has a
> real interest in your plugin and thus could give it some serious testing
> with
> real-life scenarios (so you know it not just Works for You™), you could
> also
> blog about it on (or ask Frank or me to forward/host a blog
> post
> from you, which we happily will do).
> At least I would have a better feeling to say "Please import to kdesdk" if
> there are a few reports of people who say "Great and useful stuff, works
> for
> me!"
> > > I thought we had granted an feature freeze excemption for this (or
> that's
> > > what
> > > i understood from the previous mails in this thread).
> >
> > I glad that you like my new plugin and wants this include in the release.
> > I'm currently working on fixing a bug that makes this Plugin almost
> > unusable in suntan situations as too many files are marked as not under
> > version control.
> > I will try to fix this in the coming days, but I will not be able to test
> > the result before week 47. The fix will affect only one of the public
> > functions (beginRetrieval()), however I will make it up to someone else
> to
> > decide if this is still acceptable for KDE 4.10 or if the plugin will
> have
> > to wait for 4.11.
> While a good rule is "Release often and early" perhaps it might be a good
> idea
> to do this release often and early on your own in the early stages,
> outside of
> KDE SC/kdesdk. This is also recommended in the Lifecycle policy that Albert
> already referenced: "When you have made one of more releases and want to
> continue to develop it, the term 'playground' does no longer apply to you.
> That is the right time to move out of here.", see
> So given the timing and the issues you still see yourself I tend to
> propose to
> delay the inclusion into the kdesdk module for version 4.11.
> Instead for now you should do a little drum-roll (e.g. by blogging about
> your
> plugin) and make small releases on your own and upload the tarballs to
> places
> like where chances are high that people will look for it if
> they
> need it and also give you feedback.
> You could use the category "Utilities/KDE Filemanager" (http://kde-
> or whichever you might find more
> suited,
> people surely will use the search tools.
> Doing releases on your own for the next half year also enables you to
> ignore
> restrictions on UI strings and features, so the feedback/patches you get
> from
> other users can be integrated the moment you have time to work on it. Then,
> after this small maturing process, everyone will feel better to have the
> Perforce plugin to be officially part of kdesdk.
> Cheers
> Friedrich

Thank you very much for all the advices. Waiting for 4.11 is the right
thing to do.

When I have verified that I have solved the issue I found I will make a
post on and when ready I will make releases on


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the release-team mailing list