Proposed adjustments to our release cycles

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Tue Jun 19 12:51:03 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 07:47 PM, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Monday 18 June 2012 19.08.33 Albert Astals Cid wrote:

>>> I would say we need proper Jenkins support for that. It must be as simple as
>>> clicking one button to have the tarball fall out of the CI system and
>>> already know whether it compiles or not.
>> This is cool, i totally support that, just don't see it there, do we have any
>> volunteer for the work?
> I'm working on it :)
>
> websites/build-kde-org development branch
>
> Here are the scripts that are supposed to be used for the new Jenkins
> install that is cooking.
> Together with either the traditional packaging scripts or the new that
> Allen has been working on the plan is to allow packaging to be done
> automatically and periodically. Ideally each package will then be the
> base of a build + test run.
>
> /Regards
> Torgny
There are several problems that were identified at the last releases
(4.9 Betas and 4.8.4) and some can be addressed by Jenkins.
What we would need among other things:
- continuous build of stable KDE (was 4.8 branch) against the lowest Qt
required and against all released dependencies (Soprano in particular
but all the others as well) - a list of these should be available so
people can check versions and even tarballs locations

After the 4.8.4 problems I looked at Jenkins and found the kdelibs 4.8
built failed for several days (weeks even).
- how are problems reported from Jenkins? to whom? (build problems,
tests failing problems,...)

- generating tarballs directly from Jenkins: from what you wrote I
gather this is Allen's task, is there any ETA on this?

- questions I am asking myself about Jenkins: what archs are supported?
what gcc versions? when will all modules be integrated? are there some
talks of BoKs at Akademy about this?

There is a lot to do and 1 person + Allen are not enough in my opinion.
A CI system team should be in relation with the QA Team and the Release
Team. Do you have a road map?a list of tasks?

Best regards,

Anne-Marie