Proposed adjustments to our release cycles

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge at gentoo.org
Mon Jun 18 17:21:29 UTC 2012

> > know the current state of the release and commit new features or new
> > strings when we are frozen, and that's with just one release schedule, i
> > can imagine the mess with N different release schedules
>
> "Always summer in trunk". As long as releases are not created from the
> master branch it should be fine. On the other hand nobody should commit
> without a review anyway, so just commit and push without proper
> communication with the core developer group is so wrong in the first place

That's actually not the whole problem. How will the feature releases of the
constantly evolving frameworks interact with the dependency freezes of the
applications?!

Remember that for distributions it's far better to stick to bugfix releases of
core libraries for a while, but feature upgrades of single applications may be
easily doable.

Now that means that
* either the core libraries plus all the applications will get frozen in a
distribution, because newer applications would need newer libraries
* or we get into branching / #IFDEF madness, because older libraries require
other codepathis in applications

Thoughts?

Cheers, Andreas

--
Dr. Andreas K. Huettel
Institute for Experimental and Applied Physics

tel. +49 151 241 67748 (mobile)
e-mail andreas.huettel at ur.de
http://www.akhuettel.de/research/
http://www.physik.uni-r.de/forschung/huettel/