ALERT: KDElibs (at least) 4.8.4 is actually 4.8.80+

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge at gentoo.org
Sun Jun 10 20:24:26 UTC 2012

Am Sonntag 10 Juni 2012, 15:27:55 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:

> > - - Before announcing the tarballs, build the whole thing at least once.
>
> We do that, that's why we have a week before the release where packagers
> get access to pre-release tarballs.

I hope you're not too serious about that. None of us distribution packagers is
actually using the unmodified build scripts. So there are lots of additional
problem sources. Yes they are our problems then, but it would be helpful to
know that "it could work". (It is not hard. Take one reasonably fast box with
some sane average defaults. Install what (according to release notes) should
be installed. make install. Come back in a few hours and inform whoever's
module failed.)

That aside, I think a few build failures in a >pre-release< >beta< tarball the
size of KDE should not be a problem. After all, we want to help, and we still
have some time figuring out solutions to problems.

What I am worrying much more about is

1) confusion about dependencies (Soprano, SDO, Qt): e.g, in an ideal world,
there would be a dependency freeze some time before the release, and it would
only be allowed to use dependencies actually released publically at *that*
time.

2) my feeling of a different perception of "stable" between packagers and
developers

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer