ALERT: KDElibs (at least) 4.8.4 is actually 4.8.80+

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jun 10 18:33:39 UTC 2012

El Diumenge, 10 de juny de 2012, a les 20:17:56, Wulf C. Krueger va escriure:

> On 10.06.2012 15:27, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> >> - - Before announcing the tarballs, build the whole thing at
> >> least once.
> >
> > We do that, that's why we have a week before the release where
> > packagers get access to pre-release tarballs.
>
> No, that's for us packagers to "do our thing". What you give us
> should, as a rule, build and install properly.
> Of course, we'll notify you if things are broken but that should be
> the exception, not the rule.
>
> Nor should offloading the burden of QA to us be the rule. You
> shouldn't just throw untested tarballs at our feet and hope for the best.
>
> In several emails respect was asked for; I consider it highly
> disrespectful to be considered a guinea pig for untested stuff. And,
> please, don't tell me about manpower now - most of us aren't paid to
> package KDE either and manpower is always scarce in F/OSS.

Feel free to wait until the packages are released publicly. That way you'll
have packages that work

> What all of this boils down to is, I'm talking about proper QA. We
> shouldn't be the ones who first compile the tarballs. Whoever creates
> them should be or someone who's task to build them should be.
>
> There shouldn't be a single untested tarball on any (semi-)public
> site. That's what developer and/or build/release management testing is
> for.

There is not a single untested tarball in any semipublic site. There are
untested tarballs in a private site.

> > For example all the mails you are seeing about the beta2 tarballs
> > are over tarballs that are not public not announced yet, so you
> > can't say we don't build them, we do build them,
>
> No, you don't. You just told me you expect *us* to do *your* QA, your
> *testing* and, ideally, sort *your* stuff out (including, according to
>  some, informing individual project leads). Disrespectful.

*us* and *you* is *we*