Request for delaying 4.8.4 request

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jun 6 08:59:01 UTC 2012

Am 04.06.2012 23:57, schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> On Monday 04 June 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:
>> Not including this patch will mean not having fstab support until
>> 4.9
>> (since  we won't have 4.8.5).
>
> Why aren't we doing .5 releases anymore? Those .5 releases have
> always been
> welcome when they were done (which went back and forth). I also don't
> see a
> good reason for skipping them: With a monthly release cycle, why
> leave 2
> months between the .4 and .0 releases?
>
> I think the .5 releases really need to come back!
What do you expect to be in the .5 release? I as a developer already
deleted my local KDE/4.8 branch as the release schedule said there won't
be any 4.8 release any more. I expect that also other developers are
able to read the schedule and do their planning according to it.

Even if I had the local branch around, I would probably no longer push
any changes to 4.8. From a bugfixing perspective we are concentrating on
4.9 and it becomes more and more difficult to test anything on 4.8,
especially once 4.9 is branched. The time spend backporting to 4.8 is
quite high compared to the benefits of the bugfix to go into that
release.

Cheers
Martin