Why are 4.8.80 packages already out in the wild?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 04:31:56 UTC 2012

On Monday 04 June 2012 01:26:01 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2012, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > It's not about hurting or not (that it does, see how Martin got confused
> > and  probably lost time wondering how something like that could be
> > happening).
>
> Oh, and what Martin actually got confused by is a failure of processes on
> the KDE end: The Bugzilla entry for the new (pre)release should be created
> no later than the first "try" of tarballs. How else are we, the packagers,
> supposed to report bugs we find in the tarballs, if they're not of release-
> blocking importance? When you create the tarballs, the component should
> already be in place.
No, sorry, that doesn't make any sense. Why?
* the number of bugs reported by distro people compared to users is extremely
low (less than 1 %)
* I cannot remember a bug reported by distro people between tagging and
releasing
* for me it is important to be able to reference a git hash with a release.
The git tags are only pushed *after* the release. In the state between tagging
and release I am normally not aware what has been tagged, with the exception
of 4.8.80 thanks to Albert publishing the shasums on the mailing list

So no, also in future I will create the version tag in bugzilla once there is
a release and not when the release process got started.

Cheers
Martin