Announcements to packagers policy - question

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Tue Jul 17 13:32:50 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:14:12 AM Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> --- El mar, 17/7/12, Myriam Schweingruber escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was made aware today that, unlike beta releases, RC
> > releases seem
> > not to be announced on the packagers list. Is there a reason
> > for that?
>
> What's the need of the announcement to be posted there?
>
> It's not like there is not enough places we annouce the release has been
> made, like this list, the annoucements mailing list, the webpage, etc.
>
> Did any packager really miss we released RC1 or RC2?

I did.  Others on the Kubuntu team knew about it, but I've relied on those
announcements on the packager's list (particularly about when the pre-release
tarballs are available - AFAIK that isn't announced anywhere else).

If you're going to drop communication methods that people rely on, it would be
nice to mention it in advance.  What low volume mailing list should I
subscribe to so I can find out about pre-release tarballs and release
announcements?

Scott K