4.9.0 RC 2 Tagging Freeze Tomorrow

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jul 10 17:10:45 UTC 2012

On Monday 09 July 2012 22:30:43 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dilluns, 9 de juliol de 2012, a les 10:57:22, David Faure va escriure:
> > On Sunday 08 July 2012 22:22:21 you wrote:
> > > Tomorrow 9 July 2012 at 23:59 UTC, the following freeze kicks in
> > >
> > > * KDE 4.9 Tagging Freeze for Release Candidate 2
> > > During the time in between of the RC2 tagging and the RC2 release. Only
> > > compilation fixes for all platforms are allowed to be committed.
> > > Everything else (even showstopper fixes) have to be run through
> > > reviewboard,  with the release-team and the affected maintainers as
> > > reviewer.
> >
> > I have two patches waiting for approval on the nepomuk list, plus the main
> > issue (sending email blocks, waiting for nepomuk) still isn't fixed. I
> > strongly recommend that we don't release until this is fixed.
>
> Agreed, let's do this:
>  * Still freeze tonight
>  * Wait until nepomul+main issue be fixed
>  * After that decide further course of action

Nepomuk issue is "fixed" for now, cf reviewboard emails to this list.

> Anyhow, why didn't we know about this bad thing earlier?

I don't know. Because most kde developers who experience trouble sending
emails are told to "just disable nepomuk"? (that's what I was told initially,
by several people; I had to insist that I wanted to make KDE better for
everyone, not just fix my own issues).

Or, worse, because most kde developers are not actually using KDE/4.9 or
master on an every day basis? (I'm guilty for switching too late, clearly).

Or, more likely, that most people who do just assume "it's someone else's
problem" and just kill nepomuk or virtuoso when trouble happens (people
admitted to doing that).

In the end I spend akademy debugging the actual issues that end users will
face with 4.9. (Granted, it seems it completely depends on the amount of
emails in akonadi, and allegedly old indexers created more crap than they do
now, but a quick poll on irc showed other people with the same issue and the
same amount of contacts in virtuoso so it's not just me).

To be clear, I'm not complaining that I have to debug stuff, it's my job, but
last-minute fire-fighting in various layers of KDE isn't a well-organized
process for ensuring quality.
All in all, I hope the currently-being-formed QA team will be able to pick up
such issues and force developers to fix them before the release...