Release Script

Michael Jansen info at michael-jansen.biz
Wed Jul 4 17:44:30 UTC 2012

> > If you have a problem with us setting up weekly snapshots in that
> > format, then you may have a point because i am thinking about that
> > use case. Afaik some distros provide weekly snapshots straight from
> > our branches. If our release system is fully scripted we could make
> > weekly snapshot releases and ask them to use those. They might look
> > like that. Or perhaps have the git or subversion number somewhere
> > in the name.
>
> Then please *really* forget it.

I have no idea why to tell me something like that: "Stop doing thinking about
stuff, stop trying to improve stuff, just go away. That is what comes around
here", instead of telling me just how you guys work currently and together we
figure out how everyone can be happy?

Glass half full please.

If i would answer you in the same way i would just say:

You guys currently get no snapshot releases from us so please explain to me
why us releasing some you can't use makes things worse for you? Just ignore
those snapshot releases, those that can use them will be happy. But thats not
my intention.

I want to make clean i really appreciate that you are taking part in the
discussion here. So don't take offense. I just wanted to point out that your
emails look MUCH better without your first sentence. And much more
constructive.

> In the case of Gentoo, we start our work of doing a new KDE release by
> bumping the ebuild (Gentoo package format) version - for example we
> bump kdelibs-4.8.3 to kdelibs-4.8.4 or kate-9999 to kate-4.8.95.
> As the name of the tarball that we try to download is based on the
> package version, if you have a

So you guys have some artificial version 4.x.49.9999 which downloads sources
from a branch and builds them? Artificial in not released by kde?

So everyone out there having this version does not really know which version
he has? Because it depends on when he built?

You guys currently have no support to build snapshot versions (and i realize
we currently don't bprovide any). And it would be hard to do unless we release
all snapshot versions under the same PACKAGE NAME EVERY TIME. What version is
in the package is irrelevant. Right?

So something like this (taking scotts email into account)

kdebase-4.8.5-20120624-<GIT ID or SVN VERSION>
kdebase-4.8.5-20120701-<GIT ID or SVN VERSION>
kdebase-4.8.5-SNAPSHOT -> kdebase-4.8.5-20120701-<GIT ID or SVN VERSION>

would solve your problem?

Can i interpret that that you guys would get problems too if we would not
release all our packages with 4.9.2 . Remember we are talking about leaving
unchanged packages out of the release on minor releases!

4.9.0 gets releases of
kalgebra-4.9.0.tar.xz
ktuberling-4.9.0.tar.xz
okular-4.9.0.tar.xz

4.9.1 gets releases of
okular-4.9.1.tar.xz
ktuberling unchanged
kalgebra unchanged

4.9.2 gets releases of
kalgebra-4.9.1.tar.xz
ktuberling-4.9.1.tar.xz
okular-4.9.2.tar.xz

The kubuntu guys seem to prefer this? or is it 4.9.2 for all packages in the
4.9.2 SC Release? Scott?)

> > I think we did it for a time. At least i remember some " a new snow
> > storm, a new snapshot" commits by dirk. But no idea how they got
> > released/packaged.
>
> Yes, you did that in the past and we really disliked it.

Could you find out how they were named back then for me? Just for information.

Mike