Git tags for KDE releases

Ralf Jung post at ralfj.de
Fri Aug 3 16:56:33 UTC 2012

Hi list,

is there a way to find out which releases of KDE software match which git
commits? I prefer building stable KDE from git over building from a tarball,
because that makes the downloads much smaller and it makes it easier to keep
local patches around, or easily test a patch for the stable branch.

However, for kdepim 4.8.4 I had to find out the hard way that the v4.8.4 tag
does not compile and the tarball was re-created from some other commit (I
couldn't find out which, so I switched to using origin/KDE/4.8 instead...
which of course means that my specific combination of commits is not what
everyone tests and uses).

In some other cases, there is no git tag at all for a release: After finding
out that for KDE 4.8, Soprano 2.7 should be used, I wanted to compile Soprano
2.7.6 - but there is no "v2.7.6" tag in git (nor "v2.6.5", for that matter).
For now I'm sticking to 85408e3d (which is the current origin/2.7) and hope
that this is close to what was released, but that's not really a good
solution.

Kind regards,
Ralf