Opening kde-packager

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Wed Apr 11 23:53:50 UTC 2012

On 04/11/2012 12:44 PM, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> based on what you said above, I would actually shut the list down
> completely. We can use release-team (there is too much duplication
> anyway), the security list you mentioned, and kde-announce-apps for
> release announcements.

The problem is that users and packagers are different audiences that
care about different things when it comes to release announcements.

For example, when I make a release I make a point of mentioning
packaging-related changes like new or changed dependencies in the
release changelog, but few if any distro packagers ever read them,
so I end up having to poke people manually. OTOH, for a user-
targeted announcement, the changelog is the most important part. A
list where announcements can be posted that *focus* on the packa-
ging bits so packagers can't as easily overlook them seems useful.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein