Changelog Generator

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Fri Apr 6 17:47:43 UTC 2012

On 04/06/2012 07:27 PM, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after the last release I decided to never want to manually create the
> changelog ever again. All the information required to generate the changelog
> /should/ be in our bugtracker, so why do we create the changelog manually?
>
> Today I scratched my own itch and I present the changelog generator:
> http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=scratch%2Fgraesslin%2Fchangelog-
> generator.git&a=summary
>
> All that is needed to get proper changelogs is everybody including
>
> BUG: 12345
> FIXED-IN: 4.8.3
>
> in their commits. Now I have no idea how well our developers tend to use this
> when committing, but personally I would go so far that we should not have any
> commits to the stable branch which have not a referenced bug report.
>
> If there is interest in it I am willing to extend the tool so that we can use
> it to generate the complete changelog for all of KDE in one go so that we
> never again have to manually edit XML files and never again have to write
> "that these changelogs are incomplete" :-)
>
> Cheers
> Martin Gräßlin
>
> ----
> > From the README:
> This tool is meant to generate the KDE changelog for a given product by
> interaction with KDE's bugzilla installation.
>
> The tool fetches all bug reports with version changed field containing the
> same version number as provided by the command line parameter "--version=" for
> the product in bugzilla identified by the command line parameter "--product=".
>
> For each found bug which is resolved fixed the complete information is fetched
> including all comments. If the bug has severity "wishlist" a "feature" entry
> is generated, otherwise a "bugfix" entry. Additionally the tool searches
> through all comments to find the latest git commit attached to the report and
> if one is found adds it as the referenced revision in the changelog entry. The
> bug's summary is used as the description text for the changelog entry.
>
> How to use?
>
> Example usage to generate the changelog for product "kwin", which is part of
> module "kdeworkspace" for version 4.9.0.
>
> $ ./changeloggenerator --product=kwin --version=4.9.0 \
> --module=kdeworkspace --repository=kde-workspace
Hi,

This is great and also it's great practice to commit fixes using BUG:
and FIXED-IN:.
The only drawback is when there are no bug reports but I guess in this
case we should issue one.

Would it be the responsibility of each product maintainer to generate it
and add it in the global changelog?

+1,

best regards,

Anne-Marie