kdemultimedia move to git aborted for now

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Fri Apr 6 05:22:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

unfortunately sysadmin woke up today to find that the git conversion
of the kdemultimedia repositories that was announced yesterday is of
untenable quality: There is missing history (both in converted branches
as well as entire missing branches), files are missing from repo-
sitories and the buildsystem fixes to allow for standalone building
were not applied consistently across branches, along with potentially
other problems.

Due to the brief time window since the migration was announced and
the relatively few commits that went into them since, we believe
there is still an opportunity now to abort things and fix up the
repositories, rather than allow development to happen on top
of broken repositories and incomplete history.

As a result all of the kdemultimedia repositories have been locked
for write access for now.

Note that this does not mean that development is back in SVN again.
That is a decision that will have to be made by the kdemultimedia
maintainers and coordinated with KDE i18n, and will likely depend on
the time needed to redo the git conversion.

To the kdemultuimedia maintainers / those in charge of doing the kdemm
conversion: Please get in touch with our svn2git expert Nicolás Alvarez
(PovAddict) for details on what needs to be fixed in your conversion
rules and then figure out a plan for redoing the conversion, as well
as what steps to take to address the currently-halted kdemultimedia
development.

To the kdemultimedia developers: Those of you who have already
committed to the git repositories may need to see to that your work
ends up in whatever will be set up to replace them, be that a move
back to SVN or fixed git repositories, in case that the conversion
crew is not able to recover them. I trust they will keep you infor-
med on this front, but stay alert.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein