Fwd: Re: KSecrets

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 2 10:02:02 UTC 2012

It is alpha state, it should not be included in SC 4.8.

----- Forwarded message from Valentin Rusu <kde at rusu.info> -----

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:48:41 +0200
From: Valentin Rusu <kde at rusu.info>
To: Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr>
Cc: annma at kde.org, jriddell at ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: KSecrets

On 03/31/2012 12:04 PM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
>Hi Valentin,

Hello,

>I am inquiring with this mail about the status of KSecrets. Several
>questions were raised recently:
>- Is KSecret used within KDE? If so, how?

KSecrets is not yet used within KDE. It aims to replace KWallet and it
was previously started by Michael Leupold who worked with Stef Walter
from GNOME/keyring to define a freedesktop.org specification for a
secrets storing service. GNOME/keyring already implements this
interface, but I don't know if it's ready.

When I attended the last Randa meeting, I started the implementation of
a client library, initially designed for kdelibs. That library is ready
to be used. In parallelel, I did a KWallet implementation based on that
library. But when I attempted to include it in kdelibs, a veto came from
Aaron because of ongoning KF5 work and fears to have evolution efforts
dissipated. So a decision was made to postopone finishing this service
and instead they invited me to contribute to KF5.

>- Do you still maintain it?

Well, I'm still considering myself as maintaining it, but since the fall
of 2011 I became quite busy having less and less time for it. The KF5
contribution let me even less time for it. However, I don't intend
letting it down, that would be a pitty, as it'll provide some very
useful features.

>Distribution people are wondering how to use it and there is a request
>to remove it from KDE SC for 4.8 and further releases.

They are right for two reasons : lack of documentation and alpha state.
However, it should go to people wiling to test it.

When removing it from kdelibs, Aaron sugested a plug-in implementation
for the KWallet code, and I think that further KDE SC releases should
have that. With such a plug-in implementation, people may or may not
choose to have ksecrets on their systems. This plug-in implementation is
still TBD.

>Can you enlighten us of its state?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Anne-Marie
>
>ref:
>http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/ksecretservice-devel/2012-March/thread.html

Sorry for not noticing this thread before - right now KNode don't work
on my system so I wasn't reading news these days. I'll reply to that
thread later on.
I wasn't aware about GNOME no more providing the secrets interface. I'll
think about that.

Valentin

--
Valentin Rusu (IRC valir, KDE vrusu)
KSecretsService (former KSecretService, KWallet replacement)