No more release schedules.

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge at gentoo.org
Fri Jun 10 01:00:45 CEST 2011

> I just read a very good novel where all such talk about "Software
Collection"
> or "Platform" was aptly called "commercial bulshytt". I think many of us,
> including your "only-users", would appreciate it if you all there upstream
> would just stick to KDE, because that is what everyone uses. Nothing else.

> Not on-topic for this list at all, nor relevant for this thread...

That is not true.

The large majority of your _userbase_ does not identify themselves with, say,
solid, okular, libkipi, phonon, and krosspython. Maybe some technically minded
people are huge enthusiasts about plasma. In the end, however, what people are
talking about is the entity KDE, and what people appreciate is its entirety as
desktop environment. Not a development library framework. "Software
Collection" at least had that still half-way in mind.

Even plasma will by most people be perceived as "the desktop of KDE".

Please don't misunderstand me, of course for software developers the viewpoint
is a bit different, but I'm talking about users here.

In the end, you will be perceived for what you release - and here we get back
to this list. KDE lives from being a consistent whole. Eric Hameleers already
made some very valid points there. Breaking KDE up does not help, and the
coordinated releases were/are a great thing.

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer
dilfridge at gentoo.org