No more release schedules.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 10 00:42:05 CEST 2011

OK, since a lot of context apparently got lost during the message passing, let
me just state my (personal) position clearly:

What I think is acceptable:
* Module X wants feature Y, which is non-invasive and well-tested and does not
change the user experience nor the user interface in a significant way (for
those not using the new feature), backported and released together with KDE SC
4.n.x.

What I think is NOT acceptable:
* Module X wants to release a week before or after all the other modules.
* Every module wants to release at a different date.
* Module X wants to bundle its major feature release M.m.0, which introduces
significant feature changes (maybe even feature regressions, new bugs etc.),
together with the KDE SC bugfix release 4.n.x (x>0). (We've made an exception
for kdepim, but it should not be the rule.)
* KDE releases a new software compilation every month, with some modules
releasing major releases and some modules releasing bugfix releases. (This is a
problem for packagers because either we upgrade nothing and keep all the bugs,
or we upgrade only the modules which released bugfix releases and end up with a
unique combination nobody else is shipping, or we upgrade everything and get
yelled at by the people who don't want feature updates pushed, who sadly have
become dominant even in Fedora.)

(Please note that I do not speak for all packagers, nor even for all Fedora
KDE packagers. They may or may not agree with the above.)

        Kevin Kofler