No more release schedules.

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 23:13:53 CEST 2011

On Thursday 09 June 2011 Tom Albers wrote:

> I doubt the release schedule can keep that together. If the platform
> releases version 5, distro's need to package it and then ship 4 too and
> some kde modules will be compatible with platform 5 and some won't ever.
> So, however we turn it, I see we can add some structure, but I do think
> that structure needs to be set on a per module base, no longer on a
> central base.

One of the stated goals of the library development, which will eventually end
up in something we might call KDE frameworks 5, is that it's not disruptive to
developers or users. It won't be a big break like KDE 4 with all kind of
incompatible changes, but a mostly source compatible release, which has to be
easy to adapt to. There won't be modules, which never are adapted, that would
be a failure in reaching our goals.

I do see the value in a common release with a common schedule, and we as
community and especially the release team should help with giving structure to
what we release.