No subject

Tue Jun 7 23:02:43 CEST 2011

ess=20
"packaging" burden if monolithic tarballs are available. For what it's =
worth=20
as kdesrc-build author trying to maintain a sample configuration, I agr=
ee=20
completely, and I make it a business to keep dependency handling as sim=
ple as=20
possible! Actually having to key in dependency data as the packagers wo=
uld=20
have to do is more work and while the consensus from most packagers see=
ms to=20
be that they were doing that work /anyways/ (and therefore split tarbal=
ls are=20
fine), that's not the case for all of them.

A separate objection had come about from the process of creating split=20=

tarballs (e.g. kdeedu migration as annma already mentioned), not the id=
ea of=20
having split tarballs itself. I think most of us would agree that a smo=
oth=20
migration to split tarballs is the much preferred mode of operation if =
we're=20
going to be migrating at all, so I don't see that as controversial eith=
er.

So in other words: Split tarballs are still the answer, but taking a li=
ttle=20
bit of extra work on our end to get a decent monolithic compilation can=
 help=20
some of packagers save a significant amount of maintenance burden, and =
as we=20
transition over we just need to take advantage of past experience to tr=
y and=20
ensure everything moves as smoothly as possible.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne
--nextPart1736332.GgoIIYLyRX

--nextPart1736332.GgoIIYLyRX--