Perl version in KDELibs

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 23:14:25 CEST 2011

[Raphael Kubo da Costa - Montag, 6. Juni 2011 11:18:48]
> Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> writes:

> >> Yes.

> >> Well, we use CMake's FindPerl.cmake, which does not check Perl's version
> >> at all. If that's really needed, we could add a FindPerl.cmake to
> >> kdelibs, but the kde-buildsystem mailing list is a better place to
> >> discuss that.
> >
> > AFAICS CMake's FindPerl supports requesting a minimum version just fine, we
> > just were not setting a minimum version to look for.
>
> I'm using CMake 2.8.4 here, and its FindPerl.cmake only looks for an
> executable called "perl", without any version checking.
>
> FindPerlLibs.cmake, on the other hand, does that version check if
> required. Perhaps we could use that instead of FindPerl
> (FindPerlLibs.cmake does `include(FindPerl)')?

I think it is a different thing. While FindPerl looks for the executable,
FindPerlLibs looks for the library. Yes, the Lib check includes the check
for the executable but also adds another dependency ... at least in Debian
the Lib is a different package.

But yes, this would be a discussion for buildsystem. I would like to
concentrate on the "can I backport a change that raises the required
version for Perl from 5.8 to 5.10" on this list. :)

Regards