Perl version in KDELibs

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 03:07:25 CEST 2011

Frederik Schwarzer <schwarzer at kde.org> writes:

> So I changed the affected script and let it require Perl 5.10.
>
> Now I wanted to backport the change to 4.6 but I am not sure if that is OK
> due to the version bump and the with it changed dependency. So I looked at
> kdelibs' CMakeLists.txt and found out that it does not state a version.
>
> Does that mean it would also be satisfied by Perl 5.4 or something?

Yes.

> Should we set a minimum version there?

Well, we use CMake's FindPerl.cmake, which does not check Perl's version
at all. If that's really needed, we could add a FindPerl.cmake to
kdelibs, but the kde-buildsystem mailing list is a better place to
discuss that.

As for backporting, my opinion is that if we did not previously state a
minimum dependency version before we are not really breaking any
dependency version promise (other release-team members might disagree).