Kate App/Part/KWrite => kate.git

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.de
Sat Jan 29 19:28:27 CET 2011

On Saturday 29 January 2011 18:36:17 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, January 29, 2011, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > - keep ktexteditor where it is (to have BC+SC kept) and have a small copy
> > in kate.git to allow easier development (which I will keep in sync with
> > the REAL on in kdelibs
>
> i can't imagine ever allowing a project that isn't in kdelibs today to do
> this. as such, i cringe at reading this. it seems extremely fragile and is
> going to be amazingly confusing to people who may wish to contribute,
> particularly casually (as i did in a small way last year when i used the
> KTextEditor interface in plasma-desktop)
>
> since you wish to stay with the SC releases, so we don't need to worry
> about API drift between components due to being outside of a shared
> release cycle, is there _any_ reason why KTextEditor has to stay in
> kdelibs? can we just make KTextEditor a dependency for apps that require
> it and provide a CMake module to find it?
I have no problem to move ktexteditor, too. I only found it more easy for the
packagers to do it that way, as all compile time dependencies stay the same.

Beside, I did the syncing of ktexteditor since more than one year now and
really, there is nearly no change. But yes, I would be more happy with one
place too, I only not like the idea to enforce people to have kdelibs.git just
to test new extensions.

Greetings
Christoph