Kate App/Part/KWrite => kate.git

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.de
Sat Jan 29 14:41:40 CET 2011

On Saturday 29 January 2011 14:04:42 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > So this is why i think it's a no go, and why opossed ages ago already.
> >
> > Ok, so let's work on the issues, instead of declining it. Since
> > KTextEditor remains in kdelibs, why is kate 'special'? Why can't we put
> > it in extragear/utils ?
>
> As far as I understood Cristoph idea was have a kate repo somewhere but on
> release stage Dirk would distribute the things as they are distributed now,
> e.g. katepart would end in kdelibs, kwrite in kdebase and kate in kdesdk.
> So if we put it in extragear/utils we are "lying" to our translators and
> to people that might use svn as source for their packages, etc.
No really.

Actually my (or the kate teams) plan was:

- remove Kate Part + App + KWrite from their current places
- keep ktexteditor where it is (to have BC+SC kept) and have a small copy in
kate.git to allow easier development (which I will keep in sync with the REAL
on in kdelibs
- have kate.git packaged as kate.tar whatever with kde releases

I have no problem to be moved to extragear, but I would like to remain in the
normal KDE SC release.

And I don't see this as a special wish, given for example kdesdk will for sure
split anyway up, why is it a problem if kate splits out first? How will other
split modules be handled? I have no problem if kate stays in the "kdesdk"
group, if there is any or any other toplevel group. I not insist on some
toplevel "kate whatever" thing, just a place where the kate.git can be and be
packaged with the KDE release.

Greetings
Christoph