Heads-up: kdeutils is moving to git

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun Aug 28 23:12:52 UTC 2011

On Sunday, August 21, 2011 17:46:29 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> kdesrc-build was recommended again .. i took the time tonight (after a long
> day in Taipei working on behalf of KDE) to examine it "from scratch" again.
>
> first the good news: it took me less time to set up this time than in the
> past, so it is indeed improving. there is no doubt that it is an impressive
> tool.

I've been gone for awhile. (Kind of still am, I'm on open Wifi right now...)
and so once normal Internet access resumes I'll be able to help on whatever is
deemed necessary. I'll even be "on vacation" (though unpacking and doing other
moving-related errands) which should help with the timeframe.

> * a script / tool to set up kdesrc-build. the config file is much clearer
> now, but there are too many little details that require knowledge of how
> things work and/or are easy to overlook. a tool that asks questions like
> "Where should KDE software be installed?", "Do you have a commit account
> for KDE?", etc. and forms an appropriate config file would pull this tool
> to within reach of just about everyone

There actually used to be just such a tool (an online rc-file creator). I'd
like to think it wouldn't be too hard to whip something up in one of those
crazy modern Web frameworks or something. An easier thing might be just have
kdesrc-build do the asking itself if run without an rc-file.

I can see about doing something like that tonight. If anyone has more specific
suggestions just let me know.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne