[Kde-pim] Re: Opening kdepim master for feature commits, branching kdepim 4.6

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Thu Apr 21 17:46:29 CEST 2011

On Thu, April 21, 2011 4:27 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2011-04-21, David Jarvie wrote:
>> The hard feature freeze for KDE 4.7 is now only 3 weeks away, but as far
>> as I understand, kdepim master is still frozen pending a kdepim 4.6
>> release. If it is still intended to issue kdepim 4.6, kdepim needs to be
>> branched very soon so that master can be opened up for feature commits
>> before the 4.7 deadline runs out.
>
> Since we are out of sync with the rest of KDE anyway, I don't think the
> common release cycle dates apply to use in any meaningful way.
>
> But since the topic of branching came up:
>
> do we want to continue to do feature development in master?
> or more precisely in the branch we release from?
>
> Given how separated our components become once this transition is finally
> done
> (e.g. KOrganizer no longer depending on KMail for Kolab access), we might
> want
> to consider a strategy more like the Linux kernel's staging branches and
> merge windows.
>
> I.e. so that we can always release on time because we don't merge anything
> that hasn't reached RC status yet.

This could be the way to go forward.

Kdepim has now been frozen for 5 months for new features. This is really
not satisfactory - we need a kdepim branch where new features can be
committed, and if kdepim is to continue to diverge from the KDE release
schedule, we also need a separate, published, kdepim release schedule for
feature freezes.

KAlarm will have some new features ready in time for the KDE 4.7 release
date. Apart from its Akonadi conversion (which is unlikely to be ready
earlier), there will be some other new features and new strings which, at
the rate things are going, could be in kdepim 4.6 or 4.7. But until the
freeze is lifted, I can't commit them to any kdepim branch.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.