[Kde-pim] KDEPIM Needs More TIme

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon May 17 13:20:07 CEST 2010

On Sunday 16 May 2010 13:25:28 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 16 May 2010, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 May 2010 05:19:49 am Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > All you will lose is some meta data (e.g. the state of the
> > > messages). Another advantage of limiting the migration to the meta
> > > data (e.g. the information in KMail's index files) is that there
> > > is less potential for migration errors.
> >
> > That's good to know, sounds reasonable.
> >
> > How about the config data? Account setup etc.
>
> Config data is the real problem. It is likely to get lost on the
> migration. As this has always been the case with almost all upgrades of
> KDE PIM (e.g. when the configuration of the sending accounts was moved
> from kmailrc to another file or when the configuration of the identities
> was moved from kmailrc to another file) I don't see why we should handle
> this differently for this upgrade. A possible solution would be to leave
> kmailrc untouched and use kmail2rc for KMail 2, but I'm not sure it's
> worth doing so.

What is so hard about migrating config data? At least the account setup doesn't
look too complicated to the naive me.

I think it would produce a lot of "negative goodwill" to just lose the account
data people have set up. The migration should be as transparant as possible,
otherwise I fear we'll face serious backlash with the migration.

If that's not achievable in the 4.5 timeframe, maybe we should start thinking
about 4.6 instead?
--
sebas