KDE SC 4.5 schedule

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Mon Mar 29 23:48:23 CEST 2010

Op Monday 29 March 2010 19:02 schreef u:
> On March 27, 2010, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > I strongly want to see an API freeze kick in at this time too. No more
> > changes to APIs or header files (except docs) after this date, including
>
> the result will be poorer APIs than necessary. those of us working on new API
> often do not get critical feedback on API related issues, particularly the
> detail oriented sort. already some things leak through and make it into final
> releases, despite doing API reviews at the project level (e.g. on plasma-
> devel) and subsequently asking for review elsewhere (e.g. k-c-d). the less
> time we have to do this, the more warts that will slip through.
>
> i understand that the ballance point is binding releases, but i question
> prioritizing those efforts over the sanitation of the C++ APIs that underly
> them.
>
> if bindings need extra time to release, could we do bindings releases N weeks
> after the Development Platform C++ release? this would avoid a trade off
> between "rushed bindings" and "more warts in the C++ API".

I don't think a separate release from kdebindings is managable in the current team. What we could do is a soft api freeze, where api changes are allowed, but need to be CCMAIL'ed to the kde-bindings ml. And set a hard api freeze (a week before rc1 tagging?) where no api changes are allowed anymore. Could that help?

Toma
--
KDE Developer