KDE SC 4.5 schedule

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 29 19:02:29 CEST 2010

On March 27, 2010, Simon Edwards wrote:
> I strongly want to see an API freeze kick in at this time too. No more
> changes to APIs or header files (except docs) after this date, including

the result will be poorer APIs than necessary. those of us working on new API
often do not get critical feedback on API related issues, particularly the
detail oriented sort. already some things leak through and make it into final
releases, despite doing API reviews at the project level (e.g. on plasma-
devel) and subsequently asking for review elsewhere (e.g. k-c-d). the less
time we have to do this, the more warts that will slip through.

i understand that the ballance point is binding releases, but i question
prioritizing those efforts over the sanitation of the C++ APIs that underly
them.

if bindings need extra time to release, could we do bindings releases N weeks
after the Development Platform C++ release? this would avoid a trade off
between "rushed bindings" and "more warts in the C++ API".

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se