Upcoming KDE 4.4 vs. Bug #162485 (no suitably sufficient SSL/TLS support)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 13 20:08:47 CET 2010

On January 13, 2010, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Matthias Andree wrote:
> > The problem - to me - seems to be that showstopper bugs aren't stopping
> > the KDE show to gain the necessary attention
>
> Several related issues, based on my own experience and perceptions as
> mostly a lurker on the release team:
>
> 1.  KDE currently has a time-based schedule
> 2.  This isn't a bug, but a missing feature
> 2a. We have no documented or objective criteria to identify showstopper
> bugs (or features, for that matter)
> 3.  We have no obvious/documented process for dealing with conflicts
> between 1 and 2.

imho:

there is no point in deferring the release of all of KDE's software because
one part of the code base doesn't have enough people working on it. deferring
the release isn't going to suddenly make Gwenview developers work on SSL, it's
not going to give Plasma developers the knowledge to work on it, etc. it's
just going to hurt all projects because one isn't in good health at the
moment.

the "answer" is to find people who can work on this feature set and prioritize
that effort. while that is happening, the rest of the developers can continue
to make progress in their own (important) areas as well.

but stopping the release isn't going to find someone to work on SSL certs;
finding someone to work on SSL certs will. stopping the release is just taking
a technical hammer to a logistical manpower issue.

what "needs" to be done is for someone(s) to step up and care about this
problem and start the process of finding a solution, e.g. people to work on
it.

all the moaning anyone wants to do about "how can we release software (that
lots of people find useful) without $FEATURE_X! you have to stop the process
now!" does exactly nothing to solve the problem. it's armchair quarterbacking.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se