Upcoming KDE 4.4 vs. Bug #162485 (no suitably sufficient SSL/TLS support)

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Jan 13 17:41:33 CET 2010

Matthias Andree wrote:

> The problem - to me - seems to be that showstopper bugs aren't stopping
> the KDE show to gain the necessary attention

Several related issues, based on my own experience and perceptions as
mostly a lurker on the release team:

1.  KDE currently has a time-based schedule
2.  This isn't a bug, but a missing feature
2a. We have no documented or objective criteria to identify showstopper
bugs (or features, for that matter)
3.  We have no obvious/documented process for dealing with conflicts
between 1 and 2.

Now, I'd welcome discussions and input on how best to deal with these
(in the 4.5 timeframe).  I'll even offer some suggestions of my own,
after pondering it a bit.

-- Rex

p.s.  I'd love to be shown wrong about any of the above assertions about
things not being obvious or documented.