getting rid of kde-l10n

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Feb 2 23:10:53 CET 2010

On Tuesday 02 of February 2010, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 02/02/2010 03:45 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Dimarts, 2 de febrer de 2010, Rex Dieter va escriure:
> >> 2.  shipping translations alonside (ie, in the same release tarballs)
> >> the software.
> >>
> >> How hard would it be to work toward something closer to 2 for KDE SC?
> >
> > What would be the benefit?
>
> I know it's been this way for like forever.  Just wondering what kinds
> of attachments there are, and pros/cons of each approach.
>
> Honestly, part of this comes from my being a distro packager, but
> keeping these separate is ... a bit painful(1).  Also, fedora's release
> team keeps asking my why kde keeps translations separate, and I honestly
> don't have a good answer for them.

 Why don't you ask them why it should be changed, and just stop there if they
don't have a good answer? Why fix something that is not broken.

> Seems only the SC portions keep things separate, I mean extragear
> releases bundle software/translations together, so it's not like it's
> something new or different.

 openSUSE actually bundles together even translations for some extragear
stuff. And, as a user, I'll much rather install czech translations for few
apps I perhaps don't use rather than translations for all the languages in
the world I definitely do not use.

> (1) releases that kept software/translations bundled together makes
> their packaging simpler, imo.

 Why? You just package a tarball and that's it. What is there so complicated
about that?

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer