Moving 4.6 to git next Tuesday or Wednesday

Burkhard Lück lueck at
Mon Dec 13 22:54:39 CET 2010

Am Montag, 13. Dezember 2010, um 22:44:04 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> A Dilluns, 13 de desembre de 2010, Ian Monroe va escriure:
> > Dirk,
> > We were discussing in #kde-sysadmin whether it made sense to move not
> > just trunk/4.7 development to Git next week, but 4.6 as well. No one
> > really likes the idea of having two SCMs active at the same time,
> > which was the current plan.
> > 
> > Do you consider putting together the release scripts in time for 4.6.0
> > to be a blocker? Since i18n is staying in SVN the complicated part of
> > the release script won't change any. And kdelibs, kdebase-*, and
> > kdepim* are all basically staying with a 1-repo-1-tarball ratio, so
> > they shouldn't be much trouble. (kdebindings might be more complicated
> > since they want to split up into about 6 or so tarballs at the same
> > time as their git release, though still 1 repo:1 tarball, but that
> > isn't the subject of this email)
> > 
> > So if we did the git transition next week, 4.6 rc1 would be the last
> > release to come out of SVN. We see the alternative as doing the
> > transition shortly after the 4.6.0 release next month. But (speaking
> > for myself) I'd only want to delay the release until next month if we
> > know for sure that there is a good reason to; eg you need this time.
> From a i18n POV i'd prefer doing the 4.6.0 release from svn sources since
> moving everything to git at that late stage means that if the new repos
> trigger any problem in the scripty git codepath that the current smaller
> repos have not encountered yet we'll have to rush to fix that problem and
> translations might get a negative impact by it.

Burkhard Lück

More information about the release-team mailing list