4.6 Scheduler: Request for 4.6 Beta 3

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Mon Dec 13 14:35:07 CET 2010

----- Original Message -----
> > > I'm waiting for objections.

I'm going to raise one :(

> > > So far we don't have any objections. If there are no objections in
> > > day or so
> > > I will offiically change the release schedule.
> >
> > Will's question is not answered yet.
> >
> > |  Would the PIM team spend the extra 2 weeks on the desktop
> > |  versions or
> > |  on Kontact Mobile?
> >
> Yes to both.

I've read Tills mail and it is pretty clear to me. The focus for KDAB lies on the mobile version for the next two months. That means the desktop version will benefit from bugfixes in the underlying libs and akonadi, but KMail desktop will receive only little love. Although Till thinks KMail is ready enough to be release, I get the impression that it's not from several reports.

Anyhow, I think 2 weeks delay will not solve much.

> Especially, Kevin asked for more time to work on data migration issues
> which mainly affect the desktop.

Although this is a very import argument, I'm not sure two weeks is enough. And when the data migration might be ok, kmail itself might not be up for the end-user job yet. 

My proposal would be to continue with the schedule as planned, the kdepim team would need to decide to either release it as normal, relase it but mark the kdepim/kmail part as 'experimental', or skip the .0.

Tom Albers

More information about the release-team mailing list