Git transition for kdelibs and kdebase

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 8 18:50:33 CET 2010

On Wednesday, December 8, 2010, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> - the 20th December is just before Christmas, some devels will not be aware
> of the change (I think most are not aware at all on what's going on)

it needs to be announced, yes; i think Ian wanted to pass it by release team
first to be sure everything is ok with release engineering before announcing
it to the entire community.

> - will everything from kdelibs and kdebase and kdepim move (trunk = 4.7 and
> 4.6 branch?)

history is being maintained; but whether future releases of 4.6 will done from
git is indeed something that hasn't been made explicit yet. (imho all future
releases should be done from git; backporting bug fixes from a git repo to svn
will be hell otherwise)

> - why would some split and other not?

kdebase is splitting because it's already 3 modules: runtime, apps and
workspace. a good test for this is that the 3 kdebase modules are not allowed
to depend on each other at build time and they are packaged as three separate
chunks by packagers. kdebase is "special" that way; no other module that i
know of is actually multiple modules in one.

> - what about other modules?

this needs updating:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/MovetoGit#Write_.2F_update_importing_rules_for_svn2git

that entire page could use with some scrubbing...

> what about l10n?

for now the translations themselves are remaining in svn to avoid disrupting
their workflow. scripty apparently works with git.kde.org based repos now.

> - what about documentation for developers? what needs to be done?

there's a fair amount on techbase, but "what more needs to be done" is a
mystery to me too. a good question to get answers to, though i suspect that
some of those answers won't come up until KDE devs start using git and we find
out what topics needs to be covered more.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se