Freeze exemption for PA integration into Phonon

Tom Albers toma at
Wed Nov 18 18:41:36 CET 2009

Op Wednesday 18 November 2009 18:10 schreef u:
> Hi!
> Colin Guthrie has been working on better integration of PulseAudio in Phonon, 
> but AFAIK it is now too late for getting it into 4.4, without getting and 
> exemption from the freeze.
> But IMHO (and Eike Hein, who reminded me about this issue :-), distros will 
> most probably just go ahead and patch in coling's work anyways, if it isn't 
> available in KDE itself.
> The KDE-module in question is kdebase-runtime (and also Phonon itself, but 
> that's another story).
> Another tiny snag is that it depends on an unreleased version of PulseAudio 
> (because whoever packaged up the last PA release forgot to include coling's 
> work), but I assume spring-release distros will have an up-to-date version, so 
> if we just check for the right PA version while building, we should be OK.
> Mandriva's latest release already includes coling's work, so it has already 
> received a fair amount of testing.
> So before you all start going around in circles screaming "pulseaudio 
> prrrrfffft", if PA isn't available at build-time, all the PA-specific stuff 
> becomes nops (and possibly completely optimized away? I don't have enough 
> compiler-fu). And if Phonon is built with PA integration, but the PA daemon 
> isn't available for some reason (it crashed, or isn't installed, for example), 
> it degrades gracefully.
> I think this is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help 
> me God, but if I'm wrong, please correct me. :-)
> Or ask. Or grant an exemption, if you find the kindness in your hearts to do 
> so.

A link to the patches would have been nice ;-)

If there are good, working and tested cmake and ifdefs, I suggest we include it now, ship it in the beta and possibily in the first release candidate. If we get complains or unsolvable issues we can remove it for the final release if needed. 

Please wait 24h for other opinions, if noone objects or raises possible issues, please merge it in asap, so we can at least have some basic testing before we package the beta.

KDE Developer

More information about the release-team mailing list