rc2?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jun 29 09:38:54 CEST 2009

On Monday 29 June 2009 02:20:28 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> apparently not everyone packaged the exact same "rc1". this is making it
> really hard to sort through some of the bugs we're getting as some of the
> plasma crashes should be fixed either just prior to or just after rc1
> (before/after depending on the issue), but some of the rc1 packages out
> there in the wild are actually a couple revs prior to the actual rc1
> branching.

That's actually quite normal, or rather: distros get the first set of packages
always, then usually some problems pop up and the branch is either re-tagged
or the patches in question added to the tag.

Distros just shouldn't directly release the stuff to their users before we say
"yes, this is the actual release". We could ask the packagers to be a bit more
careful.

> will there be an rc2? i know plasma at least would appreciate such a thing,
> though i think we can also manage without if it's too big of a deal.

We *could* do a second RC, but I don't see a huge amount of value in it *right
now*. Tagging won't happen before the end of Akademy, add a couple of days
until it's out (see the dance above), so the release is really, really close
to the 4.3.0 release (which is of course also tagged one week before).

So if no major thing pops up, -1 from my POV.
--
sebas