[Kde-games-devel] Possibly release-blocking issue for 4.3 (was: Re: Problems with Kolf)

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Sat Jun 27 23:24:15 CEST 2009

> I'm taking this to k-c-d and k-d. Kolf 1.9 has no maintainer at the moment,
> and its source is a complete mess. This means we have only one chance: find
> someone who knows about a change in QGraphicsView from 4.4 to 4.5 that might
> be causing this problem. In this case, someone might be able to hack a fix
> together. (I'm well aware that "someone" would most probably translate to
> "me", as I'm kind of the upcoming Kolf maintainer.)
>
> If this is not possible, I'm quite sure no one can/wants to/will waste his
> time to dig into the Kolf 1.9 source and find the problem. This would
> effectively mean to remove Kolf from branches/4.3, and probably also trunk.

Well, I did a first attempt yesterday to dig into the code and try to
fix it. It appears that the code tries to be too smart and reuse
object items, and for some reason this is failing with Qt 4.5.
But... you are right, the code is difficult to follow. I tried some
obvious things first, looking at what changed in the external libs
(including KPixmapCache), but so far I was not successful.
Removing the app is always a possibility of course until the final RC,
but as you are working on Kolf2, and we shipped Kolf in all versions
of 4.x, it would be nice to make it work so that we do not create
problems for packagers and people upgrading. I will do another couple
of sessions trying to nail it down, but no promises. As you mention,
the app code is not as tidy as it could be, but it was still working
with all versions of Qt up to 4.4.
BTW, there are still some redraw bugs in KMines, introduced in Qt 4.5
as well. I am not sure what to do in that case as removing KMines is
not an option, and the bug does not appear to be ours... Dmitry, did
you have any success looking at these?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini