KDE 4.3 Beta2 tagged and tarballs uploaded (try#1)

Benoit Jacob jacob.benoit.1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:48:12 CEST 2009

2009/6/4 Sune Vuorela <debian at pusling.com>:
> On Thursday 04 June 2009 03:07:48 Benoit Jacob wrote:
>> kdeedu (step) relies on the development version of eigen, that will
>> become eigen 2.1.
>> but eigen 2.1 won't be released before kde 4.3.
>
> I'm quite puzzled by this, especially since it, as I see it, was Eigen people
> who ported step from gmm to eigen.

Big *grumble* yes it was.

> I see the following possibilities:
> 1) step don't get released with 4.3.

That's (of course) not a possibility.

> 2) eigen people start to work fast to revert the porting of step to eigen back
>    to gmm

First time in my FOSS experience that someone tells me that we should
"start to work fast" on something.

Anyway, that is a bad possibility. Gael did not only do the porting,
he improved and cleaned the code base. Nobody wants to lose this (not
to mention that if Step developers later built upon that, that really
can't be reverted).

> 3) eigen people start to work fast to get a stable release out before 4.3,
>    maybe just backporting the needed things to 2.0 ?

We don't have a choice, we must go for 3). Either of the possibilities
that you suggest.

Benoit