Versions of dependencies for coming releases (Re: phonon version required for bindings?)

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Tue Jun 2 22:16:35 CEST 2009

[just bringing this topic out of private mail and onto the release team
list.]

Dirk Müller wrote:
> On Monday 01 June 2009, Simon Edwards wrote:
>> Sure, no problem. I find the versioning of things in kdesupport -- which
>> are needed to build KDE from SVN -- to be very unclear when it comes to
>> approaching releases. During most of the dev cycle kdesupport is needed
>> and works fine until around the end when all sorts of different versions
>> of things from all over the KDE SVN repository are selected as being THE
>> version. Where is this stuff documented? Google can't seem to find it.
>
> This is currently not really documented. for release branches we have
> tags/kdesupport-for-4.1/2 which contains the recommended versions. for /trunk
> this is currently in flux, so it depends on Matthias what the plans are.

This is a problem for me at least and maybe others. The Python bindings
includes bindings for a number of things from kdesupport such as phonon,
akonadi and soprano. To get ready for release I need to know which
branch/tag of these libraries will be the minimum requirement for the
coming KDE release. IMHO, by soft freeze it should be pretty clear which
versions/branches are in going to be in good enough shape to be a
requirement for the next KDE release. The decision just needs to be made
an documented on techbase.

Can we have this stuff settled by soft freeze in the future?

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/