KDE 4.2 and Qt 4.4 and qt-copy patches

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Jan 22 22:02:45 CET 2009

Le mercredi 21 janvier 2009, Dirk Mueller a écrit :
> On Monday 12 January 2009, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > qt-copy contains few patches that are really recommended if we want to
> > run KDE 4.2 with Qt 4.4 without getting crashes here and there.
> >
> > Since there is no schedule of a Qt 4.4.4 anytime soon (Qt Software is
> > quite busy with Qt 4.5 and stuff), we may want to recommend distribution
> > do ship some patches from qt-copy in our release notes.
>
> introduce some tag like "Signed-off-by: qtsoftware.com" or someting like
> that to the patches that you recommend to ship. speaking with my other
> distributors hat on I would very much like such a sign-off header to know
> about which patches can be shipped generally in distributor's Qt without
> disturbing Qtsoftware's support.
>
> So given the prerequisite above: +1 from me

I sent an email in reply to dfaure, but it doesn't seems to have reached the
mailing list.

There is a notes in the qt-copy patches saying if they are included in Qt 4.4
branch. (or Qt 4.5, or none)

Only released version are suported by QtSoftware support.
But the point is that, for the KDE 4.2 release, there will be no released
version of Qt containing some fixes that are very important for KDE
stability. (Hence my email)

Here is the content of the mail i sent previously:

The reason we don't release Qt 4.4.4 is that we don't have time to go
thought all the usual Q.A. check. So i can only tell you what's in our actual
tree and has been reviewed at least once :

I browsed all the patches:  here are those that are in our Qt 4.4.4 repository
and should then be safe:

0253-qmake_correct_path_separators
0254-fix-qgraphicsproxywidget-deletion-crash
0260-fix-qgraphicswidget-deletionclearFocus
0262-fix-treeview-animation-crash
0265-fix-formlayoutcrash

0256 is not related to the task it claims.   but IIRC we had adressed this
issue but not with this exact patch.  I don't know wether this patch is
required or not, but according to  Szymon Tomasz Stefanek  it solve a
frequent crash in KMail with Qt 4.4.3

Patches that are in Qt 4.5:
0203, 0238, 0242, 0250, 0257, 0261, 0263, 0264

Patch that have not been looked yet:
0216, 0225, 0226, 0231, 0234, 0251, 0255

Others:
0167: a similar fix is in Qt 4.5
0180: rejected
0195: I don't know if it has been reported
0224:  doesn't seems to have been reported, but the code is not the same
anymore.
0245:  I don't know if it has been reported
0248: A Modified version is in Qt 4.5
0249:  no idea but probably in
0258: has been rejected