The road to 4.3

Sune Vuorela debian at pusling.com
Sun Jan 4 13:45:52 CET 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009 20:52:01 Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Saturday 03 January 2009 20:14 schreef u:
> > it would be great if we could do a beta (or whatever you want to call it)
> > every two weeks to allow for a faster test-fix-test cycle during the
> > stabilization (non-feature-dev) period of the cycle.
>
> Please note that there is a week between tagging and releaseing. I
> considered reducing the time in my previous mails, but it requires a faster
> tagging to release period.
>
> So without changing the week between tag and release it goes like this for
> a 2 week cycle: week 1 wednesday: tagging b1
> week 2 wednesday: releasing b1
> week 3 wednesday: tagging b2
> week 4 wednesday: releasing b2
>
> Which effectively means that you have 1 week to get the bugs and fix them,
> though receiving bugs during week 3 is not that bad, new fixes can not
> longer be added to b2.
>
> So, to work with a 2 weeks beta cycle, we need to reduce the period between
> tag and release: Week 1 monday: tag b1
> Week 1 wednesday: release b1
> Week 3 wednesday: tag b2
> Week 3 friday: release b2
>
> Which effectively means that the period has increased to 2 weeks, which is
> a lot better imho.

As a packager I won't mind a shorter period, but if tarballs is released late
monday and release is early wednesday, it effectively only gives a full day of
packaging work, which I think it is a bit too short. Especially when many kde
packagers are volunteers who might not be able to take that tuesday off to do
packaging.
Giving two full days between "tarball packager release" and release will at
least be better.

Alternatively, skip the period between tagging and releasing and just let
distros catch up as fast as they can.

/Sune
--
How might I install on the tower?

You must get access over a forward in order to open a hard disk.