Improving Communication

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Sep 13 00:32:29 CEST 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> I tried sending one release announcement to kde-cvs-announce.
> Where it waited in moderation and never saw the light of day.

Really !?!? This can't be. I mean, the queue is empty now, so surely
that announcement went in at some point.

> We could ask the sysadmins to whitelist a few of the release team members.
> I think I asked about whitelisting my email  address many months ago, but I don't recall
> why that never happened.

Added you now. But I have to give you the usual warning: be extra careful with
the volume on that "list". Keep in mind that -everyone- with an svn account is there,
so only send mails about stuff that affects everyone (and not just e.g. developers).
And that for every email sent to that list, about 3 or 4 people ask to be unsubscribed
from it [which can only be done by disabling their svn account] :)
Initially it was only created to announce svn downtime. Basically.
IMHO it's ok to use it for freeze announcements because this also affects everyone
(although not most of the translators...) (but we won't have that anymore soon, if trunk
is never frozen, right?). I guess it will become an announcement about branching instead.
And for releases, so that contributors know when the general public gets
to use their stuff :).
But I'd say that's it; keep volume low, since people are subscribed there by force :)