Qt 4.5 and KDE 4.2

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Sep 8 19:56:50 CEST 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 12:42:59 Tom Albers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In rescheduling the 4.2 release, it seems we missed the fact that by moving the schedule forward, we can no longer depend on Qt 4.5. I wonder if that is the right thing to do. What would be the disadvantage to revert this change (besides me looking silly), and having a 5 month 4.3 cycle?

The original schedule was acceptable to everyone.
Apparently it also was nicely timed to allow for Qt 4.5 before the 4.2 release.

The only drawback with the original schedule is how it lines up with Akademy.
People already planned to the original schedule -- there are sprints and meetings
planned according to the original.

Something has to give.
- we can't force TT to change their schedule
- we can't change the Akademy plans
- people can't easily change the dates of their sprints
- we don't look good if we stretch the 4.2 cycle out to 8-9 months

I have no idea how to proceed.  I guess I'd lean toward reverting back to
the original since we delayed so long announcing the revised schedule.
Either that, or stretch out to 8-9 months.