Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 08:38:04 CET 2008

On Saturday 29 March 2008, Nicolas Ternisien wrote:
> Yes, and where did you find your binary Qt 4.4 version to compile KDE
> 4 ?  You compile it too from SVN.

Don't get silly. Qt 4.4 IS available in binary form if you want to use
it: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt44/openSUSE_10.3/
And qt-copy is in the KDE SVN repository, while the other dependencies
are not. If they would be at least mirrored in kdesupport, it would be
much easier.

> as Aaron said, this is because
> something is not widely used that it is not available everywhere. How
> many CMake version every distributions packaged before KDE 4 decided
> to make it its builder ?

But cmake was available when KDE 4.0 got released, and we had quite some
feedback from the cmake guys to fix bugs. Are you sure all those little
dependencies will be available as final releases? Would you release KDE
4.1 if Qt 4.4 final is not released? Ok, I'm exaggerating, but you
cannot compare what you listed with dependencies of a single
application.

> And why not ?

Because what I said: I don't have to have running in the memory X
interpreters.

> It is as if you think there is an unlimited pool of
> available developers, all with perfect skills in C++. Developers who
> contributes to KDE come with their skills, and you seem to close the
> KDE door to Python-only developer who would like to create a Clock in
> Python for the KDE desktop ?

They are free to creating, distributing, putting in KDE svn. What I
don't want is to not have a C++ clock that is installed by default.
Wasn't this clear?

> He has to know C++ only to contribute to
> KDE ?

You are either did not understand what I wrote or deliberately
misinterpret my words.

> Once again, it's as if Google will always give money to KDE project
> for re-implement something.

It was a suggestion how we could get a C++ replacement.

> If an application exists, is well written
> and respect the criteria defined previously by Allen, why not adding
> it ? It's not Cobol, nor C#, but a modern and clean object oriented
> scripting language.

I already stated my reasons, I don't think I should repeat them.

Andras