PROPOSAL: Merging Kleopatra Enterprise Branch into Trunk for 4.1

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Tue Jun 17 00:57:24 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 00:14, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday 16 June 2008 11:17:34 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Monday 16 June 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Dear Translators and Release Team,
> > >
> > > The kde-pim team would like to merge the Kleopatra enterprise branch
> > > from the Kolab Konsortium [1] into trunk for the upcoming 4.1 release.
> >
> > please excuse my ignorance: i know that kleopatra as about crypto and iir
> > certificates ... what concrete features does it bring?
>
> From the KDE3 handbook, "Kleopatra is the KDE tool for managing X.509
> certificates in the GpgSM keybox and for retrieving certificates from LDAP
> servers."
>
> > > We PIMsters really would love to have this in 4.1, as we have many
> > > users requiring excellent cryptographic support.  The code is
> > > externally QA'ed, so it is stable already. And we really need this for
> > > our Mac and Windows users.
> >
> > to ask the obvious devil's advocate question: what happens if this
> > doesn't make it into kde 4.1?
>
> I think Till or Marc can answer that best.

Playing God's Advocate (is that the opponent of the devil's advocate?): The
death of pragmatic KDE in favor of a policy-stricken one.

No, seriously: Nothing would happen, except for disgruntled kde-windows
packagers that have to deal with a cludge (gpgme depending on Qt, forcing
them to compile it themselves for MSVC).

And disgruntled users that miss their Kleopatra. Because the alternative to
merging is disabling it completely, or just the application, since what's in
trunk is a prerelease, pre-alpha, random development snapshot.

If you need more information, please see my mail regarding this topic
(attached).

> > i lean towards trusting the good judgement of th PIM team, i also lean
> > towards respecting te freezes ...... (that was useful input, huh? =/ )
>
> Regarding the feature freeze.. looking closer it seems that at least one of
> the two new features (openPGP support) was already in progress since before
> the feature freeze.  Not sure when the plugin for Konqueror and Dolphin was
> started.

It wasn't, and it will not be part of the merge.

> Mostly, this an issue of accepting the new strings.

Thanks,
Marc