the future of kdetoys

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 12 15:42:47 CEST 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 June 2008 08:58:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > btw, not having a place to house plasma add-ons that aren't tied to a
> > > kde release is a bit of a pain. i can see extragear/plasma/ happening
> > > again at some point if we're not careful.
> >
> > Once we have a stable Plasma API, maybe this won't be a problem??

actually, once it's stable i see the problem arising that people will want to
develop add-ons outside the kde release cycle. then again, if we manage to
eventually implement something like "always summer in trunk/" if/when we move
to a more powerful vcs, this would be a non-issue.

> > > also, the name of the module is already a bit of a misnomer since
> > > kdeplasmoids actually contain more than plasmoids (engines, themes,
> > > etc). i don't know if that really matters or anyone particularly cares,
> > > though =)
> >
> > Probably kdeplasma would have been better?
> > I suppose we could change the name for 4.2.
>
> I like above.

i prefer it to kdeplasmoids as well, though i hope nobody gets confused and
thinks that's where plasma itself actually lives =)

> Aaron, how can we packagers can know which is engine / themes / etc based
> on what inside package ?

we have subdirectories for each type of item:

animators
applets
containments
dataengines
desktoptheme
plasma
runners
scriptengines
tools

this pattern is followed in playground, base and kdeplasmoids.

you can also, of course, look in the .desktop files and see the ServiceType
field.

> I'm telling this because we suppose to split everything in subpackages
> called plasma-<name> before, but with this is better to improve as
> plasma-<type>-<name>

yes; that's the naming scheme we also follow with the .desktop files.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se